Politics, governance and management
Building more effective and inclusive institutions that can deliver development constitutes one of the most significant challenges faced by governments and communities in the Global South.
Our research on governance and management investigates the processes through which development institutions become both more effective and inclusive, across a range of key actors and organisations, including governmental and non-governmental institutions from the global through to the local.
In particular, this research theme addresses the following questions:
- Capacity: how do governments, organisations and the individuals within them develop the capabilities required to promote a more socially just world?
- Inclusion: how can institutions become more inclusive of and accountable to citizens and how can new technologies help this?
- Relationships/networks: How do power relations between different groups determine the ways in which institutions emerge and function in practice and how can productive and socially just relationships be enabled and built?
Identifying innovative forms of, and approaches to, governance and management constitutes an important and cross-cutting focus of our research.
A DFID funded global partnership investigating the kinds of politics that promote development.
This strategic network analyses new national planning for sustainable development
Do all lives matter? The study of people living with HIV and AIDS in Zimbabwe
An ESRC project into a new route to building state capacity for development.
The project attempts to map and give insight into the operations of and relationships within the UK-based international development NGO sector.
Our teaching agenda:
- Organisational Change and Development MSc
- International Development: Politics, Governance and Development Policy MSc
- International Development: Public Policy and Management MSc
- Management and Implementation of Development Projects MSc
- International Development: Development Management MSc
- Human Resource Development (International Development) MSc
- Human Resource Management (International Development) MSc
- Human Resource Management and Development (International Development) (Distance Learning) MSc
- Research Methods with International Development MSc
- Development Policy and Management PhD
People and publications:
Click on the names below to read their latest publications or read the latest publications from the Global Development Institute.
- Dr Karen Buckley - Hallsworth Research Fellow
- Prof Samuel Hickey - Professor, Politics and Development
- Dr Pritish Behuria - Hallsworth Research Fellow
- Dr Kelechi Ekuma - Lecturer, Governance and Development Leadership
- Mr Ping Gao - Lecturer, Information Systems
- Dr Farhad Hossain - Senior Lecturer
- Prof David Hulme - Professor, Development Studies
- Prof Tim Jacoby - Professor
- Dr Shirley Jenner - Lecturer, Human Resource Management
- Dr Tom Lavers - Lecturer, Politics, Governance and Management
- Dr Aminu Mamman - Reader, Human Resource Management
- Prof Diana Mitlin - Professor, Global Urbanism, Director of Global Urban Research Centre
- Dr Chris Rees - Senior Lecturer, Human Resources and Organisational Change
- Dr Kate Rowlands - Senior Lecturer, Human Resource Management
- Prof Kunal Sen - Professor, Development Economics & Policy
- Dr Rory Stanton - Lecturer, Human Resource Development
- Dr Pablo Yanguas - Research Associate, Effective States and Inclusive Development
- Asieh Yousefnejad Shomali - The Role of Civil Society Organizations in Promotion of Social Status of Street-Connected Children in General and Their Educational Status in Particular in Iran.
- Kate Pruce - Political commitment to social protection and the role of knowledge: the case of Zambia
- Zhen Chen - Developing Leadership Capacity in Chinese SOEs: A Critique of Education Leadership Public Policy
- Heiner Janus - Results-based and Adaptive Development Cooperation
- Nafisatu Irene Okhade - Private Financing of Infrastructure in Sub-Saharan Africa: Case of Nigeria Railway Projects
- Edward Ampratwum - The politics shaping the implementation of the Livelihood Empowerment against Poverty (LEAP) program in Ghana
- Issifu Amadu - Understanding the moderating effects of micro and macro organisational structures on organisational energy in public sector firms in Ghana.
- Kerstin Rieger
- Matthew Walsham - Internal Migration and Social Protection in Uganda: the Senior Citizens Grant and its relationship to 'voluntary' labour migration
- Mohammed Ibrahim - The politics of social protection in Ghana : ideas, actors and incentives
- Bethany Coleman - The politics of decision making on dams in Tanzania (FutureDAMS)
- Kubra Mertek - Post-cold war humanitarianism and discursive construction of ‘neutrality’: The case study of the ICRC in Syrian Civil War
- Sarah Redicker - The economic impacts of dams on irrigation systems (FutureDAMS)
- Samuel Stratford - Understanding how political settlements shape the decision-making processes behind the planning and construction of dams: lessons from Ethiopia and Uganda.
- Katia Schlipfenbacher - Human Resource Development with the support of ICTs in Brazil
- Luyao Huang - Social capital, education and entrepreneurial development
- Osama Abufarraj
- Ning Kang - Reassessing Training in Career development: Perspective of Chinese State-owned Enterprises
- Yuan Fang - Talent Management in the 21st Century China: A Comparison between Foreign Companies in China and Chinese Domestic Companies
- Hana Alsultan
- Yuttachai Inpa - Autonomous Public Organization in Thailand: Exploration of its Effectiveness
- Bridgit Kabah - Adopting the Operational Mechanisms of Western NGOs into the Ghanaian Context for Sustainable National Institutional Development: the Case of Fundraising, Accountability and Collaborations
- Daniel Diaz Vera - Development and operation of Chilean NGOs in a hegemonic neo-liberal context
- Duaa Alshareef - Developing the management of kindergarten Institutions in the light of Strategic Management Approach in k.S.A
- Emrah Atar - Impact Of Syrian Refugee Crises On Public Service Provision: Perspectives From Urban-local Governance In Turkey.
- Johanna Aguilera Muñoz - New public management and healthcare system performance in Chile
- Kunkanit Sutamchai - Mindfulness at Work as an HRD Intervention to Enhance Employee Well-being
- Maria Alvarez Figueroa - Identifying organizational development strategies: The management of public school districts in Chile
- Mohammad Hasan - Public Sector capacity development and innovation in crisis management with focus to Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh.
- Rukaiyatu Jungudo - Development of a strategy for reintegrating internally displaced pupils into mainstream schools: a case study of North-eastern and South-south regions of Nigeria.
- Othman Usman
- Qian Wen - SIHRM: Chinese Construction MNEs
- Xi Xi - The effects of newcomer socialization on organisational readiness for change
- Ibrahim Al Oqail